Sunday, May 16, 2010

When HIP HOP was HIP HOP!

I remember when I was first introduced to hip hop it was the early 80's in my friends basement when record players was still out (CAN YOU IMAGINE RECORD PLAYERS COMING BACK OUT) He had KRS ONE and DJ SCOTT LA ROCK RIP the "BRIDGE IS OVER" I never heard anything like it before! Yes my older brother listened to the Furious Five and Kool Herc, but KRS ONE was not only a teacher and lyrics es but he was the champ of battles. I am from Queens and still rock the BRIDGE IS OVER, the beat was amazing as he rap the chorus......THE BRIDGE IS OVER THE BRIDGE IS OVER and Piano was being played that beat would hit and in comes KRS with that Jamaican accent How could you not love his no matter where u was from!

When I was first introduced to female MC's was on a friday nights when I would listen to 98.7 kiss fm. I was introduced to MC LYTE.....BEAT BITTER! That next day I begged for my father to take me to Jamaica ave to get her tape ( YES TAPE......DAMN I'M OLD) LYTE AS A ROCK! LAWD when I tell you i think I rewind that tape so much that during the first week I was begging my father to take me back to the store to get another! MC LYTE was no joke when it came to MC'ing and battles.....most notable is 10% Dis towards another female MC...ANTONETTE...MS. WHO'S THE BOSS! When Lyte would get on the beat and start with the HOT DAMN HOE! you knew it was on! There was a slew of female MC's that also was not having it...Salt N Pepa, Roxanne Shante, Queen Latifah, Finesse and Synquese, MS.Melody, Monie Love.
I remember when we was able to go to the park parties and dance the night away as the DJ was really DJ'ing no cd's just scratching! The hype man new what his job was! Not like today where the hype man just goes from one side of the stage to the next! I remember back when each block in my neighborhood would have a block party and we would all come together for the love of hip hop and food.......Remember when your school party was an actual party and we would actually dance...The Snake...The Whoop, The James Brown and even the Kid and Play! DAMN I wish I could bring those days back! Unlike today where the kids are not dancing but having SEX on the dance floor! Remember when HIP HOP WAS HIP HOP...DAMN R THOSE DAYS DEAD?






No comments:

Post a Comment